Thursday, June 29, 2006

The Demise of the Digital Economy (Line56)

How emerging global trends favor the ultimate decline and demise of the digital economy as we understand it

Americans are global consumers. Everything from the gasoline in our cars (and the cars themselves!) to our clothes and electronics comes from somewhere else, typically very far from where we live.

Turks, and most of the rest of the world, are local consumers.

In Istanbul, where I currently find myself, most goods available to me have been produced within a few hundred miles of the city. These goods are brought in to central locations, like the Grand Bazaar, where people shop for them. But shopping nodes are spread throughout the entire city. In Gungoren, my neighborhood, there is a weekly street bazaar that brings a vast selection of goods right to my doorstep. On bazaar days I can get everything from food to clothing right from my local street.

No comments: